David Bowie’s single ‘Sue (Or In A Season Of Crime)’ was released as a digital download on 17 November 2014.
It was issued as a 10″ vinyl single on the same day in the United Kingdom, and on the compilation Nothing Has Changed.
The song had been premiered on Guy Garvey’s BBC Radio 6 Music show on 12 October.
In the USA, a 10″ single with different artwork was issued on 28 November, for the Black Friday version of Record Store Day.
The album features Bowie’s first new music since he stunned the world with the critically lauded ‘THE NEXT DAY’. The new single ‘SUE (or IN A SEASON OF CRIME)’ was especially recorded for NOTHING HAS CHANGED with long time collaborator Tony Visconti and will be released as a digital download the same day as the album and as a Record Store Day exclusive 10″ single on November 28th.
The single contained the full 7:24 recording with the Maria Schneider Orchestra. On the b-side was a 4:01 radio edit, and Bowie’s demo recording of ‘’Tis A Pity She Was A Whore’, on which he played every instrument. The radio edit cut the song from eight verses to six, omitted the final two.
A black-and-white video for ‘Sue’ was released on 15 November 2014, two days ahead of the single release.
It was directed by Tom Hingston, who had previously assembled a promo for The Next Day’s ‘I’d Rather Be High’, and later directed the ‘No Plan’ video.
The ‘Sue’ video contained new scenes shot by Hingston, in addition to footage by Jimmy King of Bowie performing with the Maria Schneider Orchestra in July 2014.
Also on this day...
- 2003: Live: Manchester Evening New Arena, Manchester
- 1995: Live: Wembley Arena, London
- 1991: Live: Tin Machine, Tower Theater, Upper Darby
- 1975: Single release: Golden Years
- 1973: Interview: David Bowie and William Burroughs for Rolling Stone
- 1972: Live: Pirates World, Dania, Florida
- 1971: UK album release: Hunky Dory
- 1969: Photo shoot: Rules Restaurant, London
- 1968: Live: Feathers, Country Club, London
- 1962: Live: The Konrads, Cudham Parish Hall
Want more? Visit the David Bowie history section.