Song of the day
He speaks of senseless things
"I'm going to be huge, and it's quite frightening in a way. Because I know that when I reach my peak and it's time for me to be brought down it will be with a bump." — David Bowie, 1972
Watch that man
David Bowie - Ashes To Ashes, Live at Glastonbury 2000 (Official Audio)
Ten key dates
- 8 January 1947: David Bowie is born
- 1 January 1967: his debut album is released
- 20 March 1970: David marries Angela Barnett
- 22 January 1972: 'I'm gay and always have been'
- 6 June 1972: Ziggy Stardust album released
- 3 July 1973: Bowie breaks up the band
- 8 January 2013: Where Are We Now? single released
- 24 April 1992: David marries Iman
- 7 December 2015: Bowie's final public appearance, at the Lazarus musical premiere
- 10 January 2016: David Bowie dies
Did you know?
In 1969 David Bowie appeared in a Lyons Maid ice cream advertisement, and unsuccessfully auditioned for another by Kit Kat.
Album of the month
The album with which David Bowie became a fully-fledged star, Ziggy Stardust was a loose concept album about a bisexual, androgynous rocker who became a conduit for alien beings in a dystopian alternate reality.
- My Tweets