Song of the day
He speaks of senseless things
"I think we are due for a revival of God awareness. Not a wishy-washy kind of fey, flower-child thing, but a very medieval, firm-handed masculine God awareness where we will go out and make the world right again. I'm feeling more and more that way." — David Bowie, 1975
Watch that man
Bowie TV: Episode 9 | John Giddings on booking David for Glastonbury
Ten key dates
- 8 January 1947: David Bowie is born
- 1 January 1967: his debut album is released
- 20 March 1970: David marries Angela Barnett
- 22 January 1972: 'I'm gay and always have been'
- 6 June 1972: Ziggy Stardust album released
- 3 July 1973: Bowie breaks up the band
- 8 January 2013: Where Are We Now? single released
- 24 April 1992: David marries Iman
- 7 December 2015: Bowie's final public appearance, at the Lazarus musical premiere
- 10 January 2016: David Bowie dies
Did you know?
In September 1998, David Bowie launched a dial-up internet service provider, BowieNet. It closed in 2006.