David Bowie recorded a BBC radio session for The Johnnie Walker Lunchtime Show on 22 May 1972. It was his eleventh session for BBC radio.
This edition was broadcast on 5 June 1972. The recording took place at Studio 2 at the Aeolian Hall on New Bond Street, London. It was produced by Rodger Pusey and engineered by Nick Gomm.
Bowie sang and played guitar. He was joined by Mick Ronson on guitar, Trevor Bolder on bass, Mick Woodmansey on drums, and Nicky Graham on piano.
‘Space Oddity’ and ‘Changes’ were not broadcast. The entire session was released on Bowie At The Beeb in 2000.
Also on this day...
- 1989: Album release: Tin Machine
- 1973: Live: Odeon Theatre, Romford
- 1970: Recording, mixing: The Man Who Sold The World
- 1969: Live: Wigmore Hall, London
- 1966: Live: David Bowie and the Buzz, Marquee Club, London
Want more? Visit the David Bowie history section.