David Bowie performed at the Shoreline in Bognor Regis, West Sussex, on Saturday 29 October 1966.
Although billed in the music press as “David Bowie and the Buzz”, this was a solo show, with Bowie singing and playing an acoustic guitar. Bowie had signed to Decca Records two days before, and his managers Kenneth Pitt and Ralph Horton were keen to establish him more as a solo artist.
This was the grand opening event for ‘The Marquee at the Shoreline’, at the Caribbean Hotel in Bognor Regis. Admission was 10 shillings, and also appearing were The Action, Long John Baldry, and Bluesology.
If you can provide a precise map location for the Shoreline or Caribbean Hotel, please leave a comment below.
Also on this day...
- 2003: Live: Wiener Stadthalle, Vienna
- 1995: Live: Forum, Inglewood
- 1991: Live: Tin Machine, Olympia, Paris
- 1987: Live: Boondall Entertainment Centre, Brisbane
- 1983: Live: Nagoya-shi Kokusai Tenjijō, Nagoya
- 1974: Live: Radio City Music Hall, New York
- 1974: Album release: David Live
- 1969: Television: 4-3-2-1 Musik Für Junge Leute
- 1968: Filming: The Virgin Soldiers
Want more? Visit the David Bowie history section.