VH1 Storytellers, David Bowie’s sixth live album, was released on 6 July 2009.
The album contained a live performance originally broadcast a decade earlier on the VH1 television show Storytellers. It was Bowie’s final live performance with guitarist Reeves Gabrels, and his first with drummer Sterling Campbell.
VH1 Storytellers featured various lesser-performed songs from Bowie’s past. The oldest was ‘Can’t Help Thinking About Me’, written in 1965 and released the following January as a single by David Bowie with the Lower Third. There were also performances of ‘Drive-In Saturday’ and ‘Word On A Wing’, which Bowie had not played live since 1974 and 1976 respectively.
Also on this day...
- 1996: Live: Festivalpark, Werchter
- 1990: Live: Civic Centre, Ottawa
- 1987: Live: Estadio Vicente Calderón, Madrid
- 1974: Live: Coliseum, Greensboro
- 1973: David Bowie attends the premiere of Live And Let Die
- 1969: Live: Three Tuns, Beckenham
Want more? Visit the David Bowie history section.