An early attempt at recording it on 11 September at Pye Studios had been abandoned due to issues with the studio equipment, so the song was re-recorded at Trident Studios.
The final version featured Bowie on vocals and 12-string acoustic guitar, and Keith Christmas on acoustic guitar. Tony Visconti was the producer.
I think this is the saddest song on the album, about a little old lady shoplifter who was simply hungry and treated as a criminal when discovered in the act. David is again joined by guitarist Keith Christmas.
Five Years (1969–1973) book
Also on this day...
- 2002: Single release: Everyone Says ‘Hi’
- 1974: Live: Convention Center, Anaheim
- 1968: Live: Turquoise, Wigmore Hall, London
- 1966: Live: David Bowie and the Buzz, The Place, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent
- 1965: Davie Jones changes his name to David Bowie
Want more? Visit the David Bowie history section.