David Bowie’s first BBC radio appearance took place on 20 May 1965.
It was on the BBC Radio Africa show Turrie On The Go!. Davie Jones – as he still was – promoted the Manish Boys’ single ‘I Pity The Fool’, even though he had by this time left the band.
The show had a studio audience which included Bowie’s new band the Lower Third. No recording of the appearance is known to exist.
Also on this day...
- 2004: Live: Murat Shrine, Indianapolis
- 1990: Live: BC Place, Vancouver
- 1987: Rehearsal: Rotterdam Ahoy, Rotterdam
- 1983: Live: Festhalle, Frankfurt
- 1978: Live: Olympiahalle, Munich
- 1966: Live: David Bowie and the Buzz, School Of Education, University of Birmingham
Want more? Visit the David Bowie history section.