David Bowie’s band The Konrads performed at the Civic Hall in Orpington on Saturday 21 September 1963.
I was originally in as a sax player. Then our singer, Roger Ferris, got beaten up by some greasers at The Civic, Orpington and I took over the vocals. I could only do Little Richard songs ’cause they were the only ones I really knew the words to.
Last updated: 11 May 2022
Also on this day...
- 1972: Rehearsal: Music Hall, Cleveland, Ohio
- 1971: Radio: Sounds Of The 70s
- 1969: Live: Three Tuns, Beckenham
- 1965: Live: David Bowie and the Lower Third, 100 Club, London
- 1964: Live: Davie Jones and the Manish Boys, Invicta Ballroom, Chatham
Want more? Visit the David Bowie history section.