David Bowie and the Spiders From Mars performed at Loyola University in New Orleans on 14 November 1972.
During his time in New Orleans, Bowie reworked ‘We Should Be On By Now’ as ‘Time’. The earlier version had been demoed in the summer of 1971 with Bowie’s friend George Underwood on lead vocals.
Bowie almost completely rewrote the lyrics in New Orleans. As on several other Aladdin Sane songs, Bowie inserted references to people of his acquaintance: Billy Dolls was New York Dolls drummer Billy Murcia, a former lover of Angela Bowie. Murcia had accidentally overdosed at a party in England earlier that month; he was dumped in a bath and force-fed coffee, resulting in his asphyxiation and death.
Also on this day...
- 1974: Live: Music Hall, Boston, Massachusetts
- 1969: Live: Frisco’s Club, Edinburgh
- 1969: Live: Adam Smith Hall, Kirkcaldy
- 1969: UK album release: David Bowie (Space Oddity)
- 1966: Recording: Uncle Arthur, She’s Got Medals
- 1964: Live: Davie Jones and the Manish Boys, Royal Star, Maidstone
Want more? Visit the David Bowie history section.