David Bowie and the Lower Third performed at the first time at the Birdcage in Portsmouth on Sunday 31 October 1965.
The venue opened in February 1965 at Kimbells Ballroom on Osborne Road in Southsea, Portsmouth. It was run by Rikki Farr, brother of Gary Farr whose band the T-Bones played on several occasions with the Manish Boys and the Lower Third.
Also on this day...
- 1995: Live: Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles
- 1991: Live: Tin Machine, Ancienne Belgique, Brussels
- 1983: Live: Furitsu Taiikukan, Kyoto, Japan
- 1974: Live: Radio City Music Hall, New York
- 1969: Live: Aurora Hotel, Gillingham
- 1969: Live: General Gordon, Gravesend
- 1968: Filming: The Virgin Soldiers
- 1964: Live: Davie Jones and the Manish Boys, Justin Hall, West Wickham, Bromley
Want more? Visit the David Bowie history section.