David Bowie performed at the outdoor one-day festival Rock With Shelter in Southend-on-Sea on 1 August 1970.
Unlike recent shows, for which he had been backed by Hype, Bowie was accompanied just by Mick Ronson on bass guitar.
The event was a benefit show for the homeless charity Shelter. The headliners were the Edgar Broughton Band, and also appearing were May Blitz, Formerly Fat Harry, Roger Ruskin Spear and his Giant Kinetic Wardrobe, Surly Bird, and the Mike Chapman Band.
Also on this day...
- 1973: Travel: Paris to Rome
- 1971: Live: Marquee Club, London
- 1969: Live: Festival Internazionale del Disco, Italy
- 1968: Live: Marquee Club, London
- 1965: Live: Davie Jones and the Lower Third, Pavilion Ballroom, Bournemouth
- 1964: Live: Davie Jones and the Manish Boys, Valley Hotel, Caterham
Want more? Visit the David Bowie history section.